Gordon Parks Foundation to Receive Society of Camera Operators (SOC) Honorary Membership
The Society of Camera Operators (SOC) is pleased to announce the Gordon Parks Foundation will receive an honorary SOC membership. Selected and acknowledged by the SOC Board of Directors, The Gordon Parks Foundation is celebrated for its work in supporting and producing artistic and educational initiatives that advance the legacy and vision of Gordon Parks for social justice.
“Mr. Parks’ work and leadership has inspired myself, along with many others in our industry. He is a trailblazer in his own right, and someone I would call a cultural icon,” shared Nikk Hearn-Sutton, SOC, Co-Chair Inclusion Committee and Board of Governors Member.
Hearn-Sutton continued, “My uncle introduced me to Mr. Parks’ work – I have been a huge fan ever since I can remember. As an African-American myself, he is an inspiration to me personally, and this acknowledgement that the SOC is giving to his legacy for his large contributions to the many, is long overdue.”
Gordon Parks, one of the greatest photographers of the twentieth century, was a humanitarian with a deep commitment to social justice. He left behind an exceptional body of work that documents American life and culture from the early 1940’s into the 2000’s, with a focus on race relations, poverty, civil rights, and urban life. Parks was also a distinguished composer, author, and filmmaker who interacted with many of the leading people of his era—from politicians and artists to athletes and other celebrities.
“There is no one who most deserves such a distinction than Gordon Parks and the Gordon Parks Foundation,” shared George Billinger, SOC President. “Gordon Parks was one of the most groundbreaking figures in 20th century photography. His photojournalism during the 1940’s to the 1970’s reveals important aspects of American culture. It gives us great pride to award the Gordon Parks Foundation an honorary member.”
SOC honorary members are appointed by the Board of Governors to honor individuals and organizations that had contributed to advancing the mission of the Society. The organizations or individuals who receive an honorary membership are credited with expanding the creativity within the entertainment and the arts.
SOC Technical Achievement Awards
We invite you to submit eligible technologies for the Society of Camera Operators’ Technical Achievement Award from September 7, 2022, through November 30, 2022. Please keep in mind the Award is for technology that is used by the camera operator and camera crew during production. There will be a fee of $1150 USD per submission. You are welcome to submit more than one technology product per company.
To qualify for a Technical Achievement Award, the technical development and the company and/or individuals responsible for it must meet the following criteria for technical excellence.
The development must be at least one of the following:
- A completely new, important, and lasting device or technique, or
- An essential and lasting innovation that modifies existing equipment, product, or technique, or
- A significant improvement on, or adjunct to, existing equipment/production equipment, or
- Equipment that furthers the creativity and storytelling by the camera operator.
Society of Camera Operators
Lifetime Achievement Awards Details
The Society of Camera Operators Lifetime Achievement Awards that will be held on February 25, 2023 in person at the Loews Hollywood Hotel, Hollywood.
- September 7: Technical Achievement Award submission open
- November 1: Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television submissions open
- November 4: Lifetime Achievement Awards nominations open
- November 30: Technical Achievement Awards submission close
- December 4: Demo Day (Technical Achievement Award)
- December 14: Technical Achievement Award Recipient announced
- January 6: Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television submissions close
- January 19: Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television nominations announced
- January 23: Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television membership voting opens
- February 19: Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television membership voting closes
- February 25: Society of Camera Operators Lifetime Achievement Awards (Camera Operator of the Year Film & Television announced live)