- This event has passed.
SOC Underwater Camera Operating Workshop
September 30, 2022 - October 2, 2022
The workshop kicks off Friday afternoon and concludes on Sunday afternoon and will include lectures, discussions, and ample hands-on training in the water.
A team of camera techs and ACs will assist in real-world demonstrations and hands-on training exercises designed to give each student maximum practice.
The workshop size is limited to 25 to give each participant one-on-one time with instructors.
Underwater Camera Operating Workshop Topics
- Prepping the camera & housing
- What equipment is necessary and/or good to have with you
- Dive gear choices & situations
- Setting up a shot
- Working with models
- Communication with ADs & directors at the surface
- Body movement while swimming with the camera
- Framing in a three-dimensional environment
- Working with different sized housings
This is an extensive underwater camera operating class. Be prepared to be in the water and, if you have not dived recently, we recommend you refresh your skills. The workshop focus will be on operating a camera, not diving.
Submission Registration Details
Submit your request to register for the Underwater Camera Operating Workshop by filling out the online submission.
Upon completion of the submission form, email Operations@SOC.Org within 48 hours and provide:
- COVID vaccination card, OR
- Email Operations@SOC.Orgnotifying us that you will send a negative PCR test result 48 hours prior to the workshop.
- Email Operations@SOC.Orgproof of current diving certification.
Once your submission is accepted, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to pay your tuition in full. You will have 48 hours to pay your tuition online to confirm your workshop attendance. At such time further details will be included.
Underwater Camera Operating Workshop Details
Friday, Sept. 30, 2022, 2:00pm registration – Sunday, Oct. 2, 2022
- Jamie Alac
- Pete Romano, ASC
- Ian Takahashi, SOC
CineMoves Movie Ranch
- Scuba certification is a must—no exceptions.
- All attendees will be required to show proof of current diving certification once you complete your online submission by emailing Operations@SOC.Org within 48 hours of submitting.
- $3,000 USD – SOC Active & Associate Members in good standing
- $3,500 USD – Non-SOC Members
Included in Fee:
All meals, equipment, and materials are included in the workshop fee (except for dive gear rental). For out-of-town participants, transportation will be provided to and from the host hotel and CineMoves Movie Ranch. Accommodations are not included.
We have secured a local host hotel that is extending rate discounts. Reservations will need to be made prior to September 2 in order to ensure a rate of $125/night + tax/fees at:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
1231 Hwy 54 W, Fayetteville, GA 30214
Ask for: SOC – Society of Camera Operators Room Block
Note: If your travel plans require arrival a day early or staying an additional night, there are rooms available to accommodate that as well.
The SOC will offer a shuttle for am pick-ups and pm drop-offs from the host hotel only to CineMoves Movie Ranch. We will NOT be providing an airport transfer. Please plan accordingly.
All attendees will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test within 48 hours of the start of the workshop.
A full refund minus an administrative fee of $150 will be refunded if you need to cancel your seat by September 12. After September 12 there will be no refunds. Please anticipate 30 days for the refund.